*adapted from thediva-dish*
As I’m sure many of you already know, quinoa is one of the most powerful foods out there for your health. I didn’t really know what it was or even how to use it until a few months ago. Since then, I’ve been trying to incorporate it into more dishes. Some interesting facts about quinoa:
– It is a complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids.
– It is a good source for manganese,magnesium, folate, and phosphorus, which has a various array of nutritional and medical benefits.
– It’s a great source of fiber.
-It has a light, fluffy texture (think couscous) and really doesn’t taste like much so you can incorporate into all kinds of dishes.
Here’s the salad I made last night.
- 2 cups prepared quinoa
- 1 can small white beans
- 4 cups tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup packed fresh basil (about one bunch)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- zest of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
Whisk balsamic vinegar, oil, garlic, zest, salt, and pepper together. Set aside.
In a food processor or by hand, finely chop basil leaves and spinach. In a large bowl add quinoa, beans, tomatoes, basil, spinach and dressing. Mix until combined and adjust seasoning to taste. Set in fridge until ready to serve