*adapted from Smitten Kitchen*
This meal was divine. I found this recipe on pinterest via smitten kitchen and it was a huge success. I figured it would be since it has some of my favorite ingredients, plus it took about 15 minutes to throw together. It doesn’t get much better than that on a Thursday night. So…make it.
- 1 lb. pasta (I used penne)
- 1 lb. slender asparagus spears, cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon plus more for garnish
- 1 4- to 5-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese (the pre-crumbled stuff will not melt as well)
- Fresh lemon juice to taste (I used half a lemon)
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook pasta in a large pot of well-salted water until it is almost tender, or about three minutes shy of what the package suggests. Add asparagus and cook until firm-tender, another two to three minutes. Drain both pasta and asparagus together, reserving one cup of pasta water.
Meanwhile combine olive oil, lemon peel, tarragon and cheese in a large bowl, breaking up the goat cheese as you put it in. Add hot pasta and asparagus to bowl, along with a couple slashes of the pasta water. Toss until smoothly combined, adding more pasta water if needed. Season genersously with salt and pepper, and lemon juice if you feel it needs a little extra kick.
*Quick tip – this didn’t reheat as well as I’d like (I’m a huge fan of leftovers) so make sure to eat it soon after you make it.